Welcome to Simson Garfinkel's web site.
Simson L. Garfinkel is an Associate Professor at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. His research interests include digital forensics; digital artifact management, with special attention to the curation of "born digital" artifacts; privacy; the use of human subjects in computer security research; usable security, and terrorism. (Read full bio.)
Recent tutorials and presentations
Note: talks with the same name may (and frequently do) have different slides
- 2014-02-22 Digital Forensics Innovation: Searching A Terabyte of Data in 10 minutes Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- 2014-02-18 Can we Sniff (Wi-Fi)? Implications of Joffe v. Google for security researchers and educators, New York University, NY.
- 2013-12-16 Lessons learned managing a 60TB digital evidence corpus and writing digital forensics tools., University of Maryland, College Park (iSchool).
- 2013-12-06 Finding privacy leaks and stolen data with bulk data analysis and optimistic decoding, University of Maryland Baltimore County.
- 2013-12-05 tcpflow and bulk_extractor update
- 2013-11-13 Finding threatening insiders with lightweight media forensics, IEEE HST 2013 paper
- 2013-11-05 Forensic Visualization with Open Source Tools, Open Source Forensics Conference.
- 2013-10-16 Finding privacy leaks and stolen data with bulk data analysis and optimistic decoding, University of Maryland, College Park (CS Dept.)
- 2013-10-10 Digital Forensics Overview, Bryn Mawr College
- 2013-05-17 The Cybersecurity Mess, MIT Club of DC
- 2013-02-22 Bulk Data Analysis With Optimistic Decompression.
See also my Presentations Archive
- Garfinkel, Simson, Nicole Beebe, Lishu Liu, and Michele Maasberg, Detecting Threatening Insiders with Lightweight Media Forensics, IEEE Technologies for Homeland Security (HST 2013), Nov 12-14, Waltham, MA. 2013
- Rowe, Neil, Schwamm, Riqui, Garfinkel, Simson. Language Translation for File Paths, DFRWS 2013, Aug 4-7, 2013. Monterey, CA. BEST PAPER AWARD.
- Garfinkel, Simson L., Digital Forensics, American Scientist, September-October 2013
- Young J., Foster, K., Garfinkel, S., and Fairbanks, K., Distinct Sector Hashes for Target File Detection, IEEE Computer, December 2012
- Windows 8: Design over Usability, Technology Review, February 20, 2013
- How to Delete Regrettable Posts from the Internet, Technology Review, October 30, 2012.