Python Source Code and Modules
- jupyter notebook
- numpy - numeric analysis in python (needed for matplotlib)
- tabulate - create tables easily
- matplotlib - a handy system for plotting in python.
- geopy - geocoding
- PyX - A Python PS and PDF graphing package
- pygame - a Python game development system
- iCalendar package for Python
- PEAK Easy Install
Python GUI Options
I need to write some programs that use GUI.
- tkinter - built in
- wikibooks has a page on Python Program/GUI Programming options
Books on Tkinter:
- Chapter 18 of Core Python Programming discusses GUI Programming with Tkinter
- Programming Python, 2nd Edition, Chapter 7 and 8
- reddit has a page on Python 3.x books for Tkinter
- Introduction to Tkinter on effbot.org
- Python 3.2 tkinter doc
- Thinking in Tkinter
- Python wiki 'GUI Programming in Python'
- Python 2.7 Tkinter Doc
- Original 'An introduced to Tkinter' by Fredrik Lundh
- Uses FLTK, the Fast Light Toolkit
I've seen these and highly recommend them:
- Advanced Python or Understanding Python, Thomas Wouters, Google Tech Talks, February 21, 2007.
- Dive Into Python 3 (book)
If you are using a Mac, you almost certainly want to ditch Apple's python implementation and instead install your own from:
If you want everybody to be able to use your GUI, you probably want to write it in Tkinter (Python's Tcl/Tk bindings). If you want to actually enjoy what you are writing, you want to use wxpython.
On the Mac, you can install matplotlib with this command using MacPorts::
% sudo port install py-matplotlib py-ipython
Use Pillow, the Python2/3 fork of Python Image Library (PIL)
On Mac, install with:
% sudo port install py27-Pillow py33-Pillow
Python Graphics (mostly with graphics.py)