Secure coding tools
- Clang Thread Safety Analysis
- Rosecheckers – perform static analysis on C/C++ source
- Compiler-Enforced Buffer Overflow Elimination
- DidFail – uses static analysis to detect potential leaks – Android
Formal Verification Tools
CompCert is a formally verified optimizing C compiler. "On typical embedded processors, code generated by CompCert typically runs twice as fast as code generated by GCC without optimizations, and only 20% slower than GCC code at optimization level 3. Details about the benchmark mix used to obtain these numbers are available on request."
CompCert is free for non-commercial use.
Optimization Based on Undefined Behavior
- Undefined Behavior: What Happened to My Code?, Xi Wang Haogang Chen Alvin Cheung Zhihao Jia, APSys '12, July 23-24, 2012, Soul, S. Korea.
- Towards Optimization-Safe Systems: Analyzing the Impact of Undefined Behavior, Wang, Zeldovich, Kaashoek, SOSP’13, Nov. 3–6, 2013, Farmington, Pennsylvania, USA.
- The Correctness-Security Gap in Compiler Optimization, D'Silva, Payer and Song, Language Security 2015.
- What every compiler writer should know about programmers, or, “Optimization” based on undefined behaviour hurts performance, M. Anton Ertl and TU Wien, KPS 2015
- Dangerous Optimizations and the Loss of Causality, CERT Technical Report CS 15-392, Robert C. Seacord
- Undefined Behavior: What Happened to my Code?, Xi Wang, Haogang Chen, Alvin Cheung, Zhihao Jia, Nickolai Zeldovich, M. Frans Kaashoek, APSys ’12, July 23–24, 2012, Seoul, S. Korea, Copyright 2012 ACM 978-1-4503-1669-9/12/07