Welcome to Simson Garfinkel's web site.
Simson L. Garfinkel is the US Census Bureau's Senior Computer Scientist for Confidentiality and Data Access and the Chair of the Bureau's Disclosure Review Board. His current research interests include privacy in big data, cybersecurity and usability. He has previously worked in digital forensics, digital information management, medical imaging, and counter-terrorism. (Read full bio.)
Recent tutorials and presentations
Note: talks with the same name may (and frequently do) have different slides
- 2018-10-29 Cybersecurity research is not making us more secure, Univeristy of Pennsylvania CIS Seminar and Events, Fall 2018 Colloqium Series, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2018-10-19 2020 Census Disclosure Avoidance, 2020 Census Program Management Review – October 19, 2018, US Census Bureau, Suitland, MD
- 2018-10-16 Issues Encountered Deploying Differential Privacy, WPES 2018, Toronto, CA
- 2018-03-08 Challenges and Experiences Adapting Differentially Private Mechanisms to the 2020 Census
- 2018-02-20 Protecting Data Sources, presented at the 4th Kavli Conference on Science Journalism, Austin, TX.
- 2018-02-14 Modernizing the Disclosure Avoidance System for the 2020 Census, presented at Georgetown University
- 2017-12-11 Federal Privacy Day Presentation on De-ID
- 2017-09-15 Modernizing the Disclosure Avoidance System for the 2020 Census, presented to the Census Scientific Advisory Committee (CSAC). [slides]
- 2017-09-14 Algorithmic Transparency and Accountability, a USACM panel at the National Press Club. Also available on Facebook Live, with the video starting at 10:45.
- 2016-12-14 The Cybersecurity Mess
- 2015-08-12 Hash Based Carving: Searching media for complete files and fragments with sector hashing and hashdb, DFRWS 2015, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2014-02-22 Digital Forensics Innovation: Searching A Terabyte of Data in 10 minutes Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- 2014-02-18 Can we Sniff (Wi-Fi)? Implications of Joffe v. Google for security researchers and educators, New York University, NY.
- 1993-12-31 Japan 1993 photo album (somebody asked)
- Pridgen, Adam, Simson Garfinkel and Dan Dan Wallach, Present but Unreachable, reducing persistent latent secrets in HotSpot JVM, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-50), Jan 4-7, 2017, Hilton Waikoloa Village, Hawaii. slides BEST PAPER AWARD
- Theofanos, Mary, Simson Garfinkel, and Yee-Yin Choong, Secure and Usable Enterprise Authentication: Lessons from the Field, IEEE Security and Privacy, September/October 2016.
- Garfinkel, Simson, Michael McCarrin, Hash-Based Carving: Searching media for complete files and fragments with sector hashing and hashdb, DFRWS 2015, Philadelphia, PA.