Because there are so many choices when developing software, I am trying to standardize on a relatively restricted toolset.
- Python (easy to use, but slow, and hard to share with others)
- C/C++ for legacy computer forensics software.
- Java (because it runs faster than C++ and is more portable)
- Java Swing
- Python with tkinter (wxwidgets is better, but it is not installed by default and it is hard to get working sometimes.)
There are many better systems, like Cocoa on MacOS. But if you want other people to use your software, it's best sticking with technologies that other people have.
Statistics and graphing
- Custom-written programs in Python
- matplotlib for graphing
I am trying to move to R.