Welcome to Simson's Amazon Web Services tutorial. Below are the key topics that you need to know about Amazon Web Services, and a curated set of articles and videos that will teach you the concepts.
General AWS Information
- Before you do anything else, understand the AWS billing model:
- On-Demand, Spot and Reserved Pricing.
- Storage Pricing
- Understand users and authentication: AWS root users, IAM users, ACCESS_KEY
- Your First Hour With AWS, Dec. 21, 2017. 28 min
- Switch From Tape to Cloud Backups – AWS Storage Gateway - AWS Tech Tips, Feb 20, 2018
- Building A Modern Data Architecture on AWS (Level 200), Dec. 21, 2017. 23 min
- AWS re:Invent 2017 Keynote, Nov. 29, 2017. 1 hour, 48 min
- Georgetown University ANLY 502 Massive Data Fundamentals, Spring 2017 (slides on Google Drive ) (slides2)
Specific AWS Services
You may wish to review:
You should understand the following AWS services:
EC2 — Elastic Compute Cloud
EBS — Elastic Block Service
- EBS is part of EC2. Why?
S3 — Simple Storage Service
EMR — Elastic Map Reduce
- What makes Elastic Map Reduce **Elastic**?
- What's the difference between a Master, Core, and Task node?
- Some EMR nodes only support EBS, some support both EBS and SSD. Why?
EFS — Elastic File System
Lambda and Serverless Technologies
- AWS Builders' Day | Serverless Development Deep Dive, Feb 14, 2018, 1 hour
- Live Coding with AWS | Building AWS Lambda Powered Twitter Bots, Feb. 14, 2018
- Live Coding with AWS | Reading Web Pages with Amazon Polly & Chrome Extensions, Feb 14, 2018
- AWS Builders' Day | Deep Dive on Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Feb 14, 2018. 1 hour
- AWS Builders' Day | Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (Amazon EKS), Feb 14, 2018. 1 hour (Follow up of previous)
- Chat Bots with Amazon Lex (Level 300), Dec. 21, 2017. 26 min