Introduction to 32nd International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners, November 2010. Promo that appears to be designed to make people afraid and paralyzed, but which brings up lots of questions about the collection of data. 4 minutes.
Daynah Boyd speaking on unanticipated impacts of transparency laws, Gov 2.0 Expo, May 27, 2010. Impact of Megan's law. There are now 700,000 people on US "sex offender registry lists," many of them teenagers convicted of statutory rape for having sex with their girlfriends/boyfriends or for sexting. Yes, 1 out of 7 minors are solicited online, but mostly it's from other minors, and there is no intent to meet offline. "Data is something we will fight over again and again." 14 minutes.
Trevor Paglen speaks at Google to discuss his book "Blank Spots in the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon's Secret World." Paglen shows how search, correlation and inferencing can be used to reveal information that governments try to keep secret. February 11, 2009.
CyberSpeak Postcast A mostly weekly radio show of all things computer forensics.
When the Cops Come A-Knocking: Handling Technical Assistance Demands from Law Enforcement, by Jennifer Granick & Riana Pfefferkorn, Black Hat, Published on Aug 16, 2016
- Dr. Michael Stonebraker, My 10 Fears about the Future of the DBMS Field, Practice Talk, April 9 2018
- Whitfield Diffie, Information Security—Before & After Public-Key Cryptography, 1 hour, 16 minutes. Filmed January 26, 2005
- Whitfield Diffie, Stanford Seminar - Cryptology and Security: the view from 2016, 1 hour, 16 minutes. Filmed May 5, 2016
- Ron Rivest's 2011 Killian Presentation video on his involvement in public key cryptography and the slides from a similar talk he gave in 2015
- James Mickens Blockchains are a Bad Idea (June 4, 2018)
MIT Media Lab
- Put That There Hack Video
- Put That There (1980)
- Put That There (original)
- Put That There and Blit Terminal
- Put That There (1982)
- Put That There (10 min)
- Put That There (two person version)
Science and Science Journalism
- Richard Feynman, The Douglas Robb Memorial Lectures, 1976
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics
- Feynman Lectures on YouTube
- Communicating Science and Technology in the 21st Century, Stephen Pinker: The Sense of Style: Scientific Communication for the 21st Century, December 22, 2014. MIT.